Are you interested in joining the Expedition Staff team? Students on Ice expeditions require experienced staff members who possess leadership capabilities, a passion for learning and working with youth.
Students on Ice staff teams are carefully built for each expedition in order to create the most powerful learning experience for youth participants and the overall team. Specific expertise relevant to the Polar Regions or formal training as an educator is desirable but not required to participate as a member of the expedition staff team.
Candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Adults who enjoy working with youth and are passionate about the goals of the SOI program. Candidates are not required to be a certified teacher/educator.
- Dynamic, enthusiastic, engaging, and comfortable interacting with a large and diverse group of youth.
- Capable of providing guidance to youth who are far from home in a foreign environment.
- Demonstrate an interest in the Polar Regions
- Possess a passion for learning; leadership qualities and/or potential to develop these qualities; active involvement in the community.
Please note that SOI expeditions are educational journeys, NOT a vacation! Staff applicants must be committed to participate fully in all aspects of the program and assist when needed.
As a non-profit organization we aim to keep costs for youth as low as possible and therefore expedition staff also pay the expedition fee (or part thereof) to participate. Experience shows that staff gain as much as the youth from their participation, if not more! Depending on your expertise, experience and expedition skill set, we will discuss your personal expedition fee in your selection interview. Expedition fees for staff participants range from 0% in exceptional cases to 100% of the expedition fee.
Upon acceptance to the program, all candidates must submit a clear Police Records Check, including clearance for service with the Vulnerable Sector, from their local police authority.
Candidates must possess a valid passport or be able to complete the process of obtaining a passport.
If you meet the above criteria and would like to join the SOI Expedition Team, please apply using the Staff Application Form.