Students on Ice is excited to be in La Serena-Coquimbo, Chile for the fourth annual International Marine Protected Areas Congress, IMPAC4. SOI Funding and Program Development Manager Heather Dewar and Alumni Program Manager Conor Leggott are accompanied by nine SOI alumni. Come find us at different events, sessions, and at our booth. Find the details below or on the IUCN Congress Website and Mobile App.
Overall Objectives of the SOI Alumni delegation at IMPAC4
- Raise the profile of SOI as an organization that provides experiential education opportunities to youth, and supports their personal and professional development.
- Profile SOI and our partners as contributing to Canada’s global leadership role in environmental protection, sustainable development and marine conservation.
- Highlight examples of the active role that Indigenous communities can and do play in the establishment and co-management of marine protected areas.
- Highlight the importance of involving youth, especially Indigenous youth, in the identification, establishment, and management of marine protected areas.
Sessions at IMPAC4
- Booth – SOI staff and alumni ambassadors will share info about SOI with conference attendees; distribute select Parks Canada Information and promote Nature for All
- MPA Youth Evening at Ocean Pavilion – presenting SOI as a successful model of engaging youth, especially students, in ocean conservation (Sept 5th – 19:00 to 21:00)
- Canada C3 Livestream from Darnley Bay MPA with Keepers of Darnley Bay at Ocean Pavilion – Livestream with comments from 2 students from Inuvialuit Settlement Region (Sept 6th – 17:00 to 17:30)
- Workshop on Engaging Youth in Marine Protected Areas – Alumni youth-led workshop (Sept 7th – 16:30 to 18:30pm)
- Poster: A Legacy of Engaging Youth with MPAs through Advocacy – Alumni to present poster on SOI alums and ocean conservation (Sept 5th – 9:30-10:30)
- Intergenerational Workshop for Ocean Conservation – A platform for sharing lessons learned related to intergenerational exchange, capacity building and leadership for current and future leaders (Sept. 9th 9:00 to 12:30)
Development Opportunities for Alumni
- leading and participating in SOI delivered products and sessions
- sharing stories of conference experience through blogs, photos, videos, social media
- attending conference sessions of interest to them
- taking advantage of networking opportunities
- submitting a micro-grant proposal after the conference