The Students on Ice (SOI) Foundation is an award-winning organization that has led more than 30 expeditions to the Arctic and Antarctic—journeys we often refer to as the Greatest Classrooms on Earth. Founded in 2000, the SOI Foundation is based on the principle that we are driven by the personal connections that we make to the land and to one another and these connections foster a deeper understanding of and commitment to a healthy and sustainable future.
Experiential education in the Polar Regions is SOI’s core program and key to bridging cultures and learning first-hand about climate change, ocean conservation, reconciliation and other pressing topics. Beyond expedition, the SOI Foundation connects people, organizations, and funding around ideas, initiatives and programs related to sustainability and the Polar Regions.
The SOI Foundation is looking for a bilingual Communications Assistant who operates with a high level of detail and organization. Our ideal candidate enjoys collaborating with a small team, has the ability to manage multiple projects while meeting deadlines, is self-motivated, creative and passionate about the Polar Regions, education and youth engagement. This opportunity will expose the successful candidate to a wide array of communications platforms and outreach initiatives.
The position of Communications Assistant is a 12-month paid contract with the possibility for extension. Based at the SOI Foundation office in Gatineau, QC (in the Ottawa area) the Communications Assistant reports to the Manager of Communications and Media Relations.
Hours: 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week, Monday to Friday
* Work on weekends and some overtime hours may be required around expeditions and events.
- Contribute to the development of strategic communications plans in support of SOI’s goals and objectives
- Contribute to the development of content and digital storytelling across all platforms
- Develop creative promotional material leveraging Adobe products and coordinate any outsourced design production
- Contribute to the planning and execution of events
- Represent the Foundation at conferences and events
- Manage the Foundation’s photo library through Lightroom
- Create presentations
- Monitor and provide analytical reports on web, social media and earned media
- Coordinate Merchandising
- Assist the Manager of Media and Communications with the development of media materials and outreach
Skills And Qualifications:
- Degree in Communications, Graphic Design, Journalism, Marketing or related field.
- Experience developing a variety of content (photo, video, blog) for social media and web and engaging in an online community.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Excel, Word and PPT
- Experience with WordPress, MailChimp and Salesforce an asset
- Intermediate skill with Adobe CC programs (Lightroom/ Illustrator/ InDesign, Photoshop)
- Video editing skills an asset
- Bilingualism (Spoken and written) is essential
- Self-starter demonstrating a strong capacity to work independently and collaboratively;
- Organized and efficient multi-tasker with great attention to detail;
- Must demonstrate flexibility, initiative, good judgment, consideration and professionalism
- Great communicator with excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Knowledge of, and experience with, the Canadian Arctic and Inuit culture an asset;
- Outgoing, positive attitude with excellent interpersonal skills and a commitment to teamwork.
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline to apply is November 20, 2017.
The Students on Ice Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity in the workplace and encourage applications from all qualified candidates including women, members of visible minorities, persons with disabilities, and Indigenous peoples.
We thank all those that apply but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.