Working with Students on Ice means working with a great team for a great cause. If you support our objectives and have a skill set that is applicable to our work, please get in touch with us.
Expedition Intern – 2017 Arctic Expedition
This opportunity is only open for Students on Ice alumni.
About SOI’s 2017 Arctic Expedition
The Students on Ice 2017 Arctic expedition will be a profound hands-on experience for youth to expand their knowledge of the changing circumpolar world, foster a new understanding and respect for the planet, and gain the inspiration and motivation needed to help lead us to a healthy and sustainable future. Our ship-based expedition will bring together 120 international secondary and post-secondary students from around the world with a staff team of 80 inspiring scientists, elders, educators, artists, musicians, CEO’s, dignitaries, journalists, authors and innovators.
The Expedition Intern will work alongside the Expedition Logistics Assistant and will report to the Expedition Managers. Within this team, the Expedition Intern will assist with planning, and contribute to the smooth preparations of SOI’s 2017 Arctic Expedition and the successful execution of the expedition program as a member of the Home Team at SOI HQ.
This is a full-time position at the Students on Ice office in Gatineau, QC (in the Ottawa area) for a Students on Ice alumni.
- Term: May 01 to August 31, 2017 (with a potential second term during the summer of 2018, please see details below)
- Hours: 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week, Monday to Friday
* Work on weekends and some overtime hours may be required closer to expedition dates and during expedition period
Depending on performance during the internship, SOI will consider the intern for the role of Expedition Logistics Assistant for the summer of 2018. The Expedition Logistics Assistant will be part of SOI’s shipboard Expedition Management Team. As such, SOI is looking for candidates who are interested in a commitment for both the summer of 2017 and the summer of 2018 and who would be available to join SOI’s 2018 Arctic Expedition in a logistics support role.
- Assist with participant logistics; includes but is not limited to: correspondence with participants and parents, gathering and organizing registration paperwork, expedition inventory and packing gear/supplies.
- Contribute to execution of pre-expedition program in Ottawa and provide in-office support during the expedition period by liaising with expedition management team on the ship, coordinating logistics for the post-expedition program.
- Prepare for expedition wrap up, including unpacking expedition gear and inventory, organizing materials for expedition archives, assisting the Manager of Partnerships with preparing post-expedition reports to be submitted to funding partners.
- Self-starter demonstrating a strong capacity to work independently and collaboratively;
- Organized and efficient multi-tasker with great attention to detail;
- Excellent problem solver;
- People person with effective and demonstrated interpersonal skills;
- Great communicator with excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Adaptable to change, diplomatic and patient with a positive outlook;
- Knowledge of, and experience with, the Canadian Arctic and Inuit culture an asset;
- Students on Ice alumni
To apply for this exciting position, please email your resume and cover letter no later than January 13th to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you so much for your interest in working with Students on Ice!