Working with Students on Ice means working with a great team for a great cause. If you support our objectives and have a skill set that is applicable to our work, please get in touch with us.
The Students on Ice (SOI) Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity in the workplace and encourage applications from all qualified candidates including women, members of visible minorities, persons with disabilities, and Indigenous peoples.
We thank all those that apply but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please see the following available positions. We are always keen to meet talented professionals who would like to join our team. If you wish to be considered for any future positions, please send your CV and cover letter to: henk(at)studentsonice.com
About Students on Ice
The Students on Ice (SOI) Foundation is an award-winning organization that has led more than 30 expeditions to the Arctic and Antarctic. Founded in 2000, the SOI Foundation is based on the principle that we are driven by the personal connections that we make to the land and to one another and these connections foster a deeper understanding of and commitment to a healthy and sustainable future.
Experiential education in the Polar Regions is SOI’s core program in which participants learn first-hand about climate change, oceans, reconciliation and other globally important topics. SOI’s programming is built on cross-generational, cross-cultural and cross-disciplinary learning principles. Beyond expedition, the SOI Foundation connects people, organizations, and funding around ideas, initiatives and programs related to sustainability.
Reporting to the Education Manager and working closely with the Expedition Logistics Team, the Education Intern will assist with the planning of education programming, primarily for the 2019 Arctic Expedition, and contribute to the smooth preparations and successful execution of these programs, along with contribute to several other education related projects within the Foundation.
This is a full-time summer position at the Students on Ice office in Gatineau, QC (in the Ottawa area). While all applications are welcome, preference will be given to Students on Ice alumni.
- Term: May 01 to August 21, 2019 (exact dates to be determined)
- Hours: 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week, Monday to Friday*
- Wage: $1160 bi-weekly
* Work on weekends and overtime hours may be required closer to and during the expedition dates
- Students between the ages of 15 and 30. Eligible participants must have been a student in the previous academic year and intend to return to school in the upcoming academic year;
- Currently studying, or intending to engage in education related studies;
- Work directly with the Education Manager on the programming for the 2019 Arctic Expedition;
- Assist in the categorization and organization of the expedition education menu (workshop contribution submissions from expedition staff);
- Communicate directly with expedition staff to assist in expedition preparation;
- Contribute to the planning and execution of the pre-expedition program in Ottawa;
- Contribute to planning for any other upcoming education related initiatives;
- Review and collaborate on the update of our education materials shared online;
- Collaborate with other teams in the SOI office when appropriate.
Key Competencies and Characteristics
- Self-starter demonstrating a strong capacity to work independently and collaboratively in an office-setting;
- Organized and efficient multi-tasker with great attention to detail;
- Excellent problem solver that welcomes new tasks and challenges;
- Great communicator with excellent verbal and written communication skills in a professional context;
- People-person with effective and demonstrated interpersonal skills;
- Knowledge of experiential education philosophy and indigenous education principles an asset;
- Knowledge of, and experience with, the Canadian Arctic and Inuit culture an asset.
To apply for this exciting position, please email your resume and cover letter no later than March 31, 2019 to the attention of Jennifer Williams at email@example.com.
SOI offers an inclusive work environment and we encourage and welcome applications from Indigenous peoples, members of a visible minority group, and people living with disabilities.
While we thank all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you so much for your interest in Students on Ice!
Click HERE to download the job posting.